Current:Home > NewsCassie Ventura reaches settlement in lawsuit alleging abuse, rape by ex-boyfriend Sean "Diddy" Combs -Infinite Edge Learning
Cassie Ventura reaches settlement in lawsuit alleging abuse, rape by ex-boyfriend Sean "Diddy" Combs
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 01:56:01
Singer Casandra Ventura, who performs under the name Cassie, has reached a settlement just one day after bringing a federal lawsuit in New York against musician and entrepreneur Sean "Diddy" Combs in which she accused him of rape and physical abuse during their relationship, her attorney confirmed in a statement.
"I have decided to resolve this matter amicably on terms that I have some level of control. I want to thank my family, fans and lawyers for their unwavering support." Ventura said in the statement.
"We have decided to resolve this matter amicably," Combs said in his own statement. "I wish Cassie and her family all the best. Love."
However, in a second statement provided to CBS News Saturday, Ben Brafman, an attorney for Combs said: "Just so we're clear, a decision to settle a lawsuit, especially in 2023, is in no way an admission of wrongdoing. Mr. Combs' decision to settle the lawsuit does not in any way undermine his flat-out denial of the claims. He is happy they got to a mutual settlement and wishes Ms. Ventura the best."
Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.
The complaint filed Thursday described the 54-year-old Combs as a "vicious, cruel, and controlling man," who "asserted complete control over Ms. Ventura's personal and professional life," and detailed abuse he allegedly inflicted on her after meeting her in 2005 when the singer was 19 years old, and signing her to his label.
The two dated on-and-off from about 2007 to 2018.
"After years in silence and darkness, I am finally ready to tell my story, and to speak up on behalf of myself and for the benefit of other women who face violence and abuse in their relationships," Ventura had said in a statement to CBS News Thursday. "With the expiration of New York's Adult Survivors Act fast approaching, it became clear that this was an opportunity to speak up about the trauma I have experienced and that I will be recovering from for the rest of my life."
The suit leveled multiple allegations against Combs, including that he raped Ventura in her home after she tried to leave him, that he "often punched, beat, kicked and stomped on Ms. Ventura, resulting in bruises, burst lips, black eyes and bleeding," and that in 2012 he blew up rapper Kid Cudi's car after finding out he was romantically interested in Ventura.
In a statement Thursday, Brafman denied the allegations on behalf of Combs, claiming that that Ventura attempted to blackmail him for $30 million.
"Mr. Combs vehemently denies these offensive and outrageous allegations," Brafman said in a statement to CBS News. "For the past 6 months, Mr. Combs has been subjected to Ms. Ventura's persistent demand of $30 million, under the threat of writing a damaging book about their relationship, which was unequivocally rejected as blatant blackmail."
In response to Brafman's claim, an attorney for Ventura countered that it was Combs who offered her "eight-figures to silence her and prevent the filing of this lawsuit."
"It's advantageous for both sides to reach a quick settlement," said Jessica Levinson, a CBS News legal contributor and Loyola Law School professor. "For Sean Combs, he doesn't want this to drag out, he doesn't want us to keep talking about the allegations against him."
— Michael George contributed to this report.
- In:
- Rape
- Lawsuit
- Sexual Abuse
- P Diddy
- New York
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- FACT FOCUS: Tyson Foods isn’t hiring workers who came to the U.S. illegally. Boycott calls persist
- Pennsylvania lawmakers push to find out causes of death for older adults in abuse or neglect cases
- Deaths of dog walker, 83, and resident of a remote cabin possibly tied to escaped Idaho inmate
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- King Charles III Shares Support for Kate Middleton Amid Their Respective Cancer Diagnoses
- Alabama gambling bill faces uncertain outlook in second half of legislative session
- Polyamory is attracting more and more practitioners. Why? | The Excerpt
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- It's Final Four or bust for Purdue. Can the Boilermakers finally overcome their March Madness woes?
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- The Diane von Furstenberg x Target Collection Is Officially Here—This Is What You Need To Buy ASAP
- Colorado stuns Florida in 102-100 thriller in NCAA Tournament first round
- Metal detectorist looking for World War II relics instead finds medieval papal artifact
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Refresh and Rejuvenate With 20 Self-Care Deals From the Amazon Big Spring Sale Starting at $5
- Elena Larrea, Social Media Influencer and Animal Activist, Dead at 31
- California work safety board approves indoor heat rules, but another state agency raises objections
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
DC attorney general argues NHL’s Capitals, NBA’s Wizards must play in Washington through 2047
2 Black officers allege discrimination at police department
Elevate Your Spring Wardrobe For Less With These Can't-Miss Fashion Deals From Amazon's Big Spring Sale
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
FACT FOCUS: Tyson Foods isn’t hiring workers who came to the U.S. illegally. Boycott calls persist
'Ozempic babies' are surprising women taking weight loss drugs. Doctors think they know why.
Joana Vicente steps down as Sundance Institute CEO